What is autism? How can I help my child?

The National Autistic Society website has lots of useful information about autism including advice and strategies for eating, sleep and toilet training, behaviour, communication and education.

Autism Hampshire have produced an excellent FREE E-Learning Autism Training resource. This should take you less than an hour to complete and includes a printable certificate.


If you suspect your child may have an autism spectrum condition (ASC) you can ask for a referral for an assessment through your child’s school, health visitor or GP. Sometimes schools are reluctant to make referrals, especially if your child’s behaviour is not causing any problems at school. In this case you could make a list of the concerns you have, and speak to your GP instead.

NAS Cambridge Branch activities

We run a monthly Carers Support Group, for anyone living with or supporting someone on the autism spectrum.

We also run one-off family events and training sessions – please check our website for updates or join our Facebook group for notifications.

The library at the Chitra Sethia Autism Centre has books, training materials and other resources available to borrow free of charge.

Other local support

Pinpoint is a local parent support charity, which runs groups and information sessions across Cambridgeshire for parents of children with ASC and other additional needs.

Special Needs Community Information Point (SCIP) is an information and advice service for families with 0-25 year olds with a disability or additional needs. This is a great source of information on groups, activities and events for children and families in all areas of Cambridgeshire.

Check out the Useful Links page on our NAS Cambridge website for a list of other organisations offering information, support and activities.

Cambridgeshire County Council services

Cambridgeshire’s Local Offer provides information about how children and young people aged 0-25 who have special educational needs and/or disabilities are supported in the county.

Disability Social Care – you can request an assessment for your child, and a Carers Assessment for yourself.

Blue Badge Scheme – your child may be eligible for a blue badge parking permit.

Peterborough City Council services

If your Local Authority is Peterborough City Council then you can find all their services listed under Peterborough’s Local Offer.

Education, Health & Care Plans (EHCP)

If your child has complex needs that cannot be met by their school’s existing special needs support, then the Local Authority may agree to issue an EHCP. An assessment for an EHCP is usually requested by your child’s school or care setting, but can be requested by other professionals or parents.

If you have any concerns or difficulties with this process, we recommend contacting Cambridgeshire’s SEND Information, Advice and Support Service, or the Peterborough SEND Partnership Service, who provide independent information & advice to parents and carers in their areas.


You and your child may be eligible for various benefits and there is more information about these on the National Autistic Society website. Your child may be eligible for Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or from age 16+ Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and other adult benefits. You may also be eligible for Carers Allowance.

DLA and PIP awards are also often used as criteria for other benefits and services. It is important to get advice from a charity or health professional with benefits expertise before filling in the claim forms for DLA and PIP.

Latest news for families

  • Visits to the Cavendish School

    The Cavendish School is Cambridgeshire’s new special free school for young people with autism, scheduled to open in September 2021.

    If you are interested in finding out more about The Cavendish School, and would like to attend a socially distanced group visit at one of the following times, please email
    jbickley@TMET.org.uk to book your place:

    • 10am on Monday 14 September
    • 5pm on Monday 21 or Wednesday 30 September
    Continue reading →

  • Back to School – a guide for parents

    The NAS have produced a guide for parents to help you prepare your child for the transition back to school, following the easing of some of the Government’s Covid-19 lockdown measures. There will be a lot of changes for them to manage and the guide helps you talk to them about what to expect and ways to help reduce anxiety.

    Back to school – a guide for parents

    Continue reading →

  • New National Autistic Society website

    The National Autistic Society are updating their national website at www.autism.org.uk

    It will be launched by the end of August and you can see a preview here. The website is a great resource with lots of information and a searchable directory of service providers.

    Our website here at the Cambridge Branch will still be the same!

    Continue reading →